Nyu Media, the London-based localizer of Japanese indie games, including Fairy Bloom Freesia, The eXceed Collection, and Croixleur, have announced their newest game. Actually, it’s a trilogy of games. The Tale of ALLTYNEX includes three indie shmups created by the Japanese developer SITER SKAIN. It includes the games KAMUI, RefleX, and ALLTYNEX Second. Despite being part of the same series, the three games appear to be very different from each other. ALLTYNEX Second’s melee mechanic in particular interests me. Here are the descriptions of the games:
The year is 2192AD. 40 years ago, the Stellar-class All-purpose Administrative Computer ALLTYNEX suddenly attempted to enact genocide upon mankind. Commandeering armies of unmanned weapons, ALLTYNEX enacted a massacre so terrible that within only 72 hours of the start of the incident, approximately 85% of the world’s population had perished.
A small number of people narrowly managed to escape beyond the solar system, but their population steadily declined in the face of brutally harsh living conditions. Now, gambling everything, the remaining survivors rally to begin their first and final attempt to reclaim the Earth. Fight your way through the drone armies and Guardian Soldiers to end the Era of A.I. Dominance!
- 5 stages of carefully crafted 2.5D vertical scrolling shooting action!
- Powerful Blade melee mechanic: get up close and personal for maximum destruction!
- Target enemies from afar with Homing Lasers or lance through enemies and bullets alike with the powerful Buster Rifle!
- Advanced combo system: smart play and switching between melee and fighter modes is rewarded!
- Tutorial, Practice and Replay (featuring normal and cinematic views) modes!
Many years have passed since the ALLTYNEX incident and humanity’s resettlement of the Earth. The world’s nations have joined to form a unified economy and a global militaristic government. However, in opposition to the worldwide mass oppression, a resistance organization arose: Valkyness.
The decades long conflict between the Global Unified Army and Valkyness is suddenly interrupted when an alien force attacks the Earth in an attempt to destroy mankind. They are the Raiwat and they seek vengeance on humanity for atrocities inflicted upon their people.
Earth’s war against the Raiwat leads to a surprising ending that reduces almost the entire planet to scorched earth, brings mankind to the verge of extinction and sows the seeds of the events to follow in KAMUI.
- 8 stages of action and massive boss battles!
- Use the reflective shield system mechanic for perfect defense or to powerfully reflect enemy attacks!
- Carefully crafted dramatic developments to match the in-game story progress!
- Take on a diverse roster of enemies: from the Global Unified Army forces to the Raiwat invaders and their apocalyptic living devices!
- Features Arcade, Training and unlockable Soundtrack modes!
The mysterious object that had shimmered in the blue sky for countless generations and was worshiped by men as a god was in fact a massive man-made structure. And now, the silent vigil that was thought would last forever has come to an end.
Centuries have passed since the events of RefleX and mankind has once again attained civilization. Now, ancient technology born of a twisted mind sets in motion a chain of events designed to bring divine retribution down upon mankind. The key to bring forth the annihilation is KAMUI, a fighter craft based on ‘Xaffiquel Theory” brain fusion technology. This twin-tined instrument of mankind’s destruction carries a terrible secret that ironically will prove to be mankind’s only hope for salvation.
- 6 stages of meticulously designed levels and presentation!
- The ‘real deal’! 2D arcade shooting action over high & low altitude planes!
- Score multiplier system based on an auto-targeting Lighting Attack!
- Destroy enemy bullets using the powerful Lightning Katana!
- Finely-tuned difficulties and rank system: pick from several difficulty settings based on precision enemy placement and algorithms or let the game adjust the difficulty according to your skills!
- New to the English version: TATE (rotated) display mode!
The Tale of ALLTYNEX is currently on Steam Greenlight, here. It also has a Kickstarter, which offers exclusive soundtracks, t-shirts, and dakimakuras, with stretch goals like physical editions of the game. The Kickstarter page can be found here.